Monday, May 9, 2011

Stonehenge and Bath

This was the last class trip of the British Life and Culture class I was taking during my studies at Kingston. The girls and I woke up early, and reluctantly made our way to the bus stop.

The bus ride to Stonehenge was long, but we all slept the entire way because of how early our day started. We could see Stonehenge on the road as drove up to the place and I am sad to say that I was disappointed. I saw ropes and guards around the structure and realized that we would not be able to get anywhere near the stones.  That was going to be the best part of the trip.  We walked around and passed the time as best we could, taking pictures and enjoying the view and although it was beautiful and amazing it was not the eerie experience I was expecting.  I thought that Stonehenge was going to be a type of religious or spiritual experience and I did not get what I wanted.  All in all, I was glad I was able to see it, but the rest of the day proved to be a much better experience than a walk around a couple of amazing, gigantic stones stuck in the ground. Just as everyone was getting tired of Stonehenge it was time to get back on the bus and head to Bath.

Bath was amazing! I am so glad that I had the opportunity to see the Roman Baths.  The first thing that we did when we got to Bath was take a walking tour of the town.  We saw how the town changed and the architecture changed according to the time period the buildings were built.  There were Roman buildings, Modern buildings and buildings that were built in an age of functionality over artistic aesthetics.  We saw the Royal Crescent and buildings that were based on the Roman Coliseum.  Bath is a beautiful town a long history of change, however, the people seem to be able to embrace the change and the different periods of history that are embodied in the little town.


After the walking tour we moved on to see the Roman Bath which was uncovered not too long ago but has been around for quite some time.  The Roman Baths were really cool to see and the girls and I enjoyed them for as long as we could before having to get back on the bus.  We were told not to touch the water because of fears of getting meningitis but the girls and I touched it because it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  We made sure to wash our hands 1000x over when we were done though and went on our way to get ice cream before getting on the bus.



We got some of the best ice cream I have ever had in my life and then we went and looked a souvenirs before getting on the bus.  While walking to the bus we heard a rugby match from the local team, Bath.  It was awesome to hear all of that cheering and I thought for a moment I was back in Clemson during a football game.  I got goosebumps and realized how important Clemson was to me at that moment.

Bath was awesome and I was so happy to have seen it, however disappointed I was by the trip to Stonehenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment