Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Most Famous School in England

So, this is really late, but better late than never!

Finals are finally over for now, and I have time to sit here and update my blog and look back at everything that has happened this semester, as my time in England is rapidly coming to an end.

Oxford, a school trip that we took back in February? maybe March, was a trip to remember.

We started our tour of the town of Oxford in the same exact place that all member of the different schools in Oxford start their journey through Uni.  The ceiling was painted with a beautiful portrayal of wisdom and ignorance and we began the tour that would shed all the ignorance we had.  After the hall that all the individuals going to Oxford are inducted and graduate from, we climbed the staircase to the top of the building that allowed us to see the skyline of Oxford.  It was a beautiful sight and I took pictures of all the old, gothic buildings that hold history I can only imagine.

Skyline


The ceiling of Ignorance and Wisdom




After the tour of the building, we started the tour of the town of Oxford on foot.  Good thing I wore my comfortable shoes!  We saw some of the buildings that house historic classrooms and historic events.  Even a Jacobian style building that was home to the birth of science!

We then passed the Rhodes Building, which houses the Rhodes scholars, people like Bill Clinton and many other famous individuals that are some of the best and brightest in the nation.  I was thrilled to be able to see where the Rhodes scholars are inducted!

To please my literary minded self, we then saw the Eagle and Child, were J.R, Tolkien and and C.S. Lewis came up with their ideas for The Lord of the Rings and The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.  We continued on to see the place that the Protestants were burned at the cross for their beliefs.  The other highlights of the walking tour were the large Oxford library where millions of books sit under the ground in what is supposed to be a car park.

I fell in love with the architecture of Oxford, especially this round building which I have included..... The place was just beautiful and all the buildings were so lovely in their own right.

I loved this building
We continued on to Christ Church, where Harry Potter is filmed.  This is where the Great Hall exists, and Harry Potter walked up the very steps that I walked up and down throughout the day.  This was also the location of the scene from the second movie, The Chamber of Secrets, where Harry has to deal with the snake and Tom Riddle.

After the tour, the girls and I went to get ice cream from McDonalds and feasted on this wonderful treat while waiting for the buses to come and pick us up and take us home.  Catalina and I ended up in a museum that had many different stories to it, and although we wanted to be able to explore more, it was time to get on the bus.  We saw all sorts of Roman and Greek art and saw the hands of Buddha.
Christ Church

That was the trip to Oxford, a place that I would have loved to be able to spend more time at.

No comments:

Post a Comment