Monday, May 9, 2011

A Day in Hampton Court

Before we went to Ireland Kate and I met up with her cousin Tessa at Hampton Court Palace for a walk through the place where King Henry VIII stayed.

Kate and I were very excited to be able to see this place because of what huge nerds we can be sometimes.

Hampton Court is not like the other extravagent palaces that are found through London and is actually very understated on the outside.  However, the inside and the gardens are something else entirely.

As we walked through Hampton Court Palace we were amazed to see that they were acting out what it was like to be living in the time of King Henry VIII, so Kate, Tessa and I sat down and enjoyed the show.  Little did I know that sitting down and enjoying the show would include being a part of the show.  One of the women asked me if I would like to present a complaint to King Henry VIII asking that he come up with a dowry for my sister.  It was a very strange thing but I went along with it and made a fool of myself.

After the show, we went outside to see the gardens.  They are vast and beautiful and it could take a person all day to explore them.  Unforunately for us, it was quite cold outside and we could not enjoy them as much as we wanted to.  However, we did make sure to run through the huge hedge maze that is found in Hampton Court.  It was a very large and very confusing maze but somehow we made it out before it got too dark outside. It was too early in the year to be able to see the place where tennis started, but to know it is there was enough for me.  The first Wimbledon games started at the tennis courts in Hampton Court Palace and was based on raising funds for the monarchy.

All in all it was an educational and fun day, but it had to end eventually.  Kate and I said goodbye to Tessa and headed back home on a bus ride that literally takes about 10 minutes we are so close to the Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment