Monday, January 24, 2011

First Weekend

So the first weekend in London was really interesting and a roller coaster of emotions...

When I arrived I found that my suitcase had ripped open, but luckily not enough to cause any real damage...My main concern there was what would I have to put my stuff in when I come back into the States but I guess we will just have to deal with that when it comes.... Heathrow was a really nice airport and the guy that we had to go with us to the shuttle was really wonderful.  When we got into the shuttle it smelled really weird, and we all joked around that it smelled like London, but apparently that really is what London smells like because that is what all the pubs and such smelled like as well.

So the first full day in London I went with the EuroLearn group and we all got a drink at the bar, and to set the record straight English beer is 100X better than American beer but it still tastes like horse piss.  I still don't like it so I will not be drinking it much here....

The second day we went to Westminster Abbey and Big Ben.  Westminster is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I was so mad that I could not take pictures of it but whatever, it is the nicest most beautiful place to look at the what was inside was all history stuff but it was just fanstastic.  Anyway. there was this girl there who when we got to the tomb of the unknown soldier kept saying that she didn't understand why they had one and I tried to explain that we have one as well and she got all pissy and like told me that we don't.  I think she's really dense but their tomb of the unknown soldier for the first world war is just beautiful.  Its a plain black stone in the ground with red poppies surrounding it.  On a lighter note, I also saw poet's corner, which is where all the famous authors are buried or remembered, like Shakespeare and Chaucer and Dickens and Austen and Darwin and all these really cool influential people and I was just in heaven.


After we went to see a play called Billy Elliot because it is a story of the London mines and why they were all closed and Margaret Thatcher and a kid that wants to dance ballet and i was pretty good, really funny, but I was really shocked at how much the little kids curse here.  I found out a lot of pretty neat slang from the show though and I have been sharing it with people here and there because it is quite vulgar.

The second day in England was the Tower of London and Tower Bridge as well as going on a Jack the Ripper tour and we also walked by St. Pauls which I am going to have to go and see again.  Then we went to a Medieval Banquet dinner which was quite the experience.  All of these things are just really filled with history and author's stories and I am so glad that I am here to see it first hand.  Although, I realize more and more how sheltered and stupid we are about the world around us living in America.... It's really sad.

I have noticed from being here that we really are spoiled in every aspect of life and I have grown to appreciate so much more everything it is that America has to offer.  They want to buy our jeans off of our backs most of hte time because we have better jeans..... They also want to steal our things because they are the newest things.  They don't have WiFi like we do at home in most places and they also have different showers and toilers that are much more finicky then our stuff at home.  They have really not modernized at all because all of their money and efforts have gone towards rebuliding after the wars and that has but them really far behind the US in a lot of things.  They get music and movies after we do and its really funny to see that the Black Swan is just coming out here or that Willow Smith has just recently been heard on the radio.  I am learning a lot about history though and a lot more about appreciating what we have in America because everyone in England is quite envious of our way of life over there and that is why many of them think that we are spoiled brats....

It has been a rough adjustment for me but I am finally home where I will be for the next couple months and I finally feel settled.  I am glad of this because I have not been sleeping like I do at home and everyone who knows me knows that I LOVE my sleep.  I cannot wait to just be able to sleep in and get myself all really situated.  I register for classes bright and early in the morning so I am going to wrap this up quick.

I miss everyone at home and I hate not being able to text people random things, its hard not having a phone when you are so used to having it attached at your hip.....

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment