Friday, January 28, 2011

First Full Week Impressions

So, my first full week in England has come to a close and I have to say it is an interesting little place.  I am amazed by the way that everything is broken up into little villages and every village has a High Street or a central shopping street and then there are houses surrounding it.

The roads are funny too and the rules of the road are much, much different than back home.  I have had a couple people ask me if I were going to drive anywhere in England and I keep telling them that I can't imagine driving anywhere.  They have roundabouts and random one way roads, there are places where you have to yield to the other people on the other side of the road and just very strange things.  Not to mention everything about the way that they drive is backwards....I keep trying to get on our passenger side and end up in their drivers side....

Classes and "uni" is different too! Although I haven't yet started classes, I got my schedule and although I am taking about the same hours of class that I would at home, all of my classes only meet once a week, which means that I only have class three times a week.  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  It is crazy to think that I am going to have a four day weekend every weekend, but since I have a lot of traveling and things I want to do I think that will work out for the best.  Especially for when Nanny is here to visit, we can get a lot of exploring done in the four days that I have over the weekends.

The Pub scene is great too, as well as the Clubs.  People are a lot of fun here and love American accents as much as we love their British accents. It is just a good time to hang out with people and enjoy each others company.  Often times they show a lot of sporting events while the TV's are on and after a certain time at night it is mostly music and just hanging out.  The big going out nights here for students are weird though, they are often going out on Wednesday and Monday nights.  We tried going out last night (Thursday) but we couldn't because none of the clubs were open.  It is odd, but something that we have to get used to if we want to go out ever......My feet also have to get used to walking long ways in heels through pot holed sidewalks, which is a lot harder than you would think at night....

Anyway, I am off to London for the day to explore and have a good time!

Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment