Tuesday, March 8, 2011

St. Pauls

A couple weekends ago I went to St. Paul's Cathedral with Kate.  The other girls were in Portugal so we decided to make a weekend for ourselves and go do something that we have been talking about doing since we got to London.

St. Paul's is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL place and I cannot express how serene and wonderful it was.  The building is so big and so imposing, but the inside is so wonderfully peaceful that you forget how large the place actually is.  Kate and I just walked around the floor for about an hour, looking at everything and soaking it all up.

After, we both decided that we needed to see the tombs and the chambers underneath the Cathedral even though we both knew that we were not going to like what we saw/felt.  We went down for about a split second and decided that the tombs in the ground and the graves were too much to handle and instead we ran back upstairs and made our way to the Whispering Gallery and to the top of the dome!

The Whispering Gallery is absolutely amazing, you whisper into the wood and anyone around the entire dome can hear what you are saying.  It is amazing and Kate and I sat on opposite sides of the dome and whispered back and forth to one another, being throughly astonished by how the entire system worked.



Finally, we decided that we were going to make our way up to the top.  We began to climb the 500 odd steps there were to the top.  By the end, however, Kate and I were both so scared that we literally had to drag ourselves up the see-through steps.  I could not feel my legs underneath me but I made it all the way up to the top! I was so proud and then I was so amazed by the view.  It was beautiful and breath taking and ridiculously scary all at the same time.  But we did it, we made it and we got to take all the pictures of the London city skyline.

It was an amazing day, that ended with pizza in front of St. Paul's.  Kate and I had a laugh about that because who eats pizza in front of St. Pauls on a Saturday afternoon!?!

Later, we ventured over to Buckingham Palace.  On the way we walked through St. James' Park and we tried to enjoy ourselves but found ourselves overcome by our fear of the birds.  The birds are ridiculously large and scary.



Buckingham Palace is an absolutely beautiful place, as everything else is here in London.  I loved every minute of our visit even though it was freezing cold!




Anyway, it was a great weekend, nice and calm and relaxing and just what the doctor had ordered.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment